How do I best prepare for my saddle-fitting session?
Some useful facts to make the fitting of the saddles a success
- The saddle fitter will bring one or more saddles to try on the horse. Make sure your horse is clean and dry. The back should be free of sweat, mud or sand stains.
- It is logical that the rider for whom the saddle is intended must be present if a riding test is to be carried out.
- The riding test takes place in a arena or place where the horse can be ridden safely (and dry!), of course illuminated in the winter months or evening sessions. When the weather conditions are changeable, an indoor arena is ideal but we understand that this is not always possible.
- If you want to try the saddle on your horse, your horse must be saddle-broken and in good health. The horse should certainly not show any signs of illness, injuries or lameness.
- When the saddle fitting takes place, the horse should not be treated by an osteopath or any other specialist. For a correct saddle fitting, the horse must not be under medication or sedatives, be in gestation or with a nursing foal, or be castrated shortly before or after the saddle fitting.
- If you do not yet have a suitable girth, stirrup leathers and stirrups (e.g. when buying a first saddle), be sure to let the saddle fitter know so that he can bring them along.
The ideal saddle-fitting location
We will come and fit your saddle at the place where your horse is stabled or in the field. The following points of attention will make the saddle-fitting job a little easier... But we are flexible and adapt ourselves to the circumstances.
- A professional saddle fitter brings along several saddles and will adjust, update or fill them himself on the spot to the conformation of the horse.
- It is of course always more pleasant to be able to work in a dry environment with some shelter from the weather and in a clean environment.
- The saddle fitter will assess the horse, check for symmetry, palpate the back, possibly make a back sketch or a printout (template) of the shape of the back and withers, and above all, square the horse. This is best done on a flat, horizontal and hard surface.
- The saddle fitter will put several (new) saddles on the horse. Make sure your horse is clean and dry.
- If possible, parking is provided as close as possible to the place where the fitting will take place, so that we can easily reach the saddles and the necessary materials.
- If there are any unexpected problems (sudden unavailability of a riding place or rider, horse sick or limping, too bad weather conditions, etc.), please let us know as soon as possible so that the appointment can be postponed.